Welcome to Marion Township
Bordered by the Connoquenessing Creek to the north and Brush Creek to the west, tiny Marion Township occupies the northeastern tip of Beaver County. It is one of many municipalities east of the Mississippi named in honor of General Francis Marion, better remembered as the “Swamp Fox,” a South Carolinan Revolutionary War hero famous for his ambushes of English troops and his impenetrable swamp hideout.
Marion Township has no swamps, and no traffic lights. It does have more manufacturing jobs than residents to fill them. The Township is home to several industrial firms, as well as a large nursery and many traditional farms.
The Township was formed in 1845 when North Sewickley Township to the west was split into four townships. Half of the township then became Franklin Township in 1850.
Local landmarks include Benvenue Manor, home to the communal religious group the Bethany Society, and the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, burial place of Sampson Piersol, a participant in the Boston Tea Party and a drummer in the Revolutionary War.
The Township was home to 380 residents in 1900. Today its population is 940.